What type of rod do I use for ......

Forums
What length and action casting rod do I use for frogs? I also want to know the same for crankbait and top water(buzzbait/plastics/chatterbait)
Thank you received: 69
User

What length and action casting rod do I use for frogs? I also want to know the same for crankbait and top water(buzzbait/plastics/chatterbait)

blindhog72

I think a good frog rod will be 7 or 8 ft, flexible tip, and heavy mid section. Almost every brand makes a "frog" rod..They also work fairly well for the other applications you have listed...I have an 8ft Falcon Bucoo that i have had much success with, but up until last year i was using an old 7ft Ugly Stik for frogs, craws, jigs. Worked great.. There are others on here that know alot more than i do...Anyhow....Welcome to the forum....... 😃
Thank you received: 9

blindhog 72, Welcome to this place. Hope you like it and stick around. I would second Jessica's response. The only exception for me would be the rod length. 8' might be stretching it a bit but maybe not. Most of my rods are 7' or 7'6". In most cases a medium heavy will carry the lion's share of the work. The tip speed is critical so make sure to consider that. I usually use a lot of rods setups that have a fast tip speed. On something like a crankbait rod you probably will do better with a rod having a more parabolic action so that it has a bit of uniformity of flex from the tip to the but and with a moderate to maybe even a slow tip. This will assist in preventing you from jerking the bait away from the fish on the hookset. On a crankbait if your rod is less than optimum you can have some difficulty getting the hookup even though you know the fish are striking your bait. Sometimes in this case it helps to be vigilant in recognizing the vibration or wobble the bait is transmitting. As you are cranking if at any time that vibration or wobble seems to disappear, push the rod tip toward the bait just a bit and then set the hook with a sweeping motion. It takes a bit of practice but it can result inn a higher hookup ratio.

If the grass is really fairly thick then braid might be a better choice. On topwater baits like a frog setting the hook instantly with braid is so direct you may miss a lot of fish. Let the fish go under and count to 3 or wait until you feel it to set the hook. If you are in heavy vegetation it may be hard to get the fish on top with mono on account of line stretch. When frog fishing make sure your hooks are razor sharp. I've only got one micro guide rod. It's an 8' for throwing ddep divers like the Strike King 10XD. Here in Florida I haven't got a chance to use it much at all but so far I like it OK. As soon as I get settled in TN I'm sure I'll get to use it more. In cold weather the micro guides will probably freeze over more than conventional guides.
Thank you received: 24

30# braid is fine for most conditions, I would go with 50# it you're fishing heavy lily pads or thick grass . A rig 50-65# is a must.
I use Power Pro.

Power Pro is a user friendly brand. I've been using it for a few years now with very few issues. When I drop below 30lb sometimes I have trouble with the line wrapping around the rod tip. I frequently use straight 30-50 lb braid in hi viz yellow. I use a black sharpie to darken 4-6' of line. This way I can see my line better. It will last a long time depending on how often you fish. If you find that it seems to be getting worn try this. Get another reel you can use the same line on and just tie it to that spool. When you wind it on the older stuff will go on first and the new stuff will wind up on top of the spool of the second reel. This way you can get more mileage out of the cost of the line.
Thank you received: 0
User

I've never used one of these forums before. There is a wealth on knowlwedge out there! Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I like the idea of using a 6'8" next to the bank for accuracy. I will probably use 7' for most everything else, just vary the weight and action. I've been told that frog fishing needs a heavy rod and most others can use a medium or medium/heavy. One last question: I have started using Power Pro Braid because of mono memory issues. Is 30lb overkill? Should I just stick with 20lb? Is ther another brand that someone might find works better. I tried Spiderwire and did not like it much. Had a lot of birdnesting. I have never been able to throw Flourocarbon 😔