Your first trip of 2014

Forums
Sitting here in January with temps in the teens and single digits, I can't help but start thinking about that first chilly morning I'll be on the lake again (the cabin fever is getting to me haha).

When most of us start the year, its probably going to be some kind of prespawn pattern. So I'm just sitting here wondering. On your first outing, what do you have tied up for your first cast of 2014, and where do you go from there? I kinda think since you've had all winter to ponder it, a lot has probably gone into what you ultimately choose to fish with.

Honestly, I'll probably be chucking a huddleston-style swimbait, hoping to start the year off with a 5+ pounder, but before its over, I'll probably be fishing the same areas with a jerkbait and football jig.

Here's to trying to beat cabin fever!
Thank you received: 9

If I can figure out how to record a couple of ball games I may take my grandson over to the Suwannee river today. If I go we will fish outside channel bends and pitch black trick worms . The weather has been cool and rainy here lately but today is warm and sunny and forecast to get up to 75. The week after next week I am going to Kansas and will stop over at Tablerock on the way back. I hope the bitter cold has passed by then and I can go jerk the Megabass Ito Vision 110 for a day or two.
Thank you received: 9

We did make it over to the Suwannee today. It was really nice temp wise, 75. I had some difficulty with the ramp as it was perpendicular to the river current. Not so bad coming off the trailer but getting back on was a pain. I bought my grandson a 6'6" medium rod and a Lews' baitcaster and showed him how to learn the mechanics of pitching. He picked it up pretty good and he's only 7. I was really impressed. I had 4 bites but only boated one fish. I think it was a Suwannee bass but not sure and didn't think about it until we had released it. We did get a pic though. As soon as I figure out how to post it I will.

IMG_1420.JPG

Hello,im new to the forum.my first outing was about 4 weeks ago.a bluebird day with 17 mph winds out of the ne.after about ten min of fishing I boated one 20 1/2" on a texas rigged june bug worm.and that was my last strike of the day!but it was great to be out.
Thank you received: 24

Very nice getfished, were in the deep freeze here in the Queen city ponds are getting hard water,
My first trip out will probably be mid March or so and will be an A rig.
Thank you received: 1
User

Sitting here in January with temps in the teens and single digits, I can't help but start thinking about that first chilly morning I'll be on the lake again (the cabin fever is getting to me haha).

When most of us start the year, its probably going to be some kind of prespawn pattern. So I'm just sitting here wondering. On your first outing, what do you have tied up for your first cast of 2014, and where do you go from there? I kinda think since you've had all winter to ponder it, a lot has probably gone into what you ultimately choose to fish with.

Honestly, I'll probably be chucking a huddleston-style swimbait, hoping to start the year off with a 5+ pounder, but before its over, I'll probably be fishing the same areas with a jerkbait and football jig.

Here's to trying to beat cabin fever!soy