Newer spincast reels?

Forums
Anyone still use spincast
reels? The newer ones over $25 appear much better built that back in the day...What say you? Thanks...

Thank you received: 70
User

I still use them sometimes (see my thread below)....But yea...the new BPS, and the Zebco Omega, and a few others seem to have stepped it up some....They usually have a slow retrieve, and a junk drag...newer ones have addressed those issues....I do just fine with my spinning reels....but have still not mastered baitcasters.... 🤔 . I have owned a couple, and sold or traded them off...Iv'e been told i need to buy a "good" one...the cheap ones are harder to use.....i dont know if thats true, but not ready to lay out $300 for a reel just yet to find out....lol
User

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_123/klein-zebco-21714.html
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Thank you received: 3
User

Having grown up using zebco 33s, when my wife was in the need of a new reel, I bought her the 33 platinum. What a piece of junk! It worked for about 2 weeks before biting the dust.
Tried 2 other spincasters recommended by local tackle shop, both in the $50 range, bot were garbage.
Started researching, reading reviews, especially customer reviews, then bought the zebco omega pro. 3 months later I bought one for me, then a second for my wife.With 8 lb mono it cant be beat throwing ultra light lures. Use a light action rod to allow it to load though. Has a great drag, just be careful not to accidently loosen it while fishing. We love this reel...and it comes in 2 sizes.
I just hope zebco doesnt start "improving" it. That seems to be the kiss of death.
User

Yea.....the 33s were not so great for a while...Have you looked at the ones just out..? 5 bearings, all metal gears...but does not have the oscillating spool like the Omega Pro, thats a really nice reel...I have one mounted on a Lightning rod.
new33platinumgroup.jpg

User

Seems like you usually get what you pay for with spincasters...But sometimes you get a dud....I have a Zebco Rhino reel that the pick up pins wont fully retract on once in a while..hanging the line up...I really liked it, it was smooth and solid but just sits in the corner of the garage...Maybe i just got a bad one... 😔
User

Sounds like you are all set......Welcome to the Forum...Glad you found us... 😃
Thank you received: 0
User

Is there anything "tricky" about installing fresh line on a spincaster? What say you? Thanks again...