Summer days call for summer meals. These bbq chicken legs do an amazing job of encapsulating summer in every bite! Brine them the night before, throw them in the cooler and hit the lake. From there, let you favorite bbq sauce and the Mr. Steak Grill take it away!
Brined BBQ Chicken Legs Recipe Ingredients
- 4lbs Chicken Legs
- 1/4 C Salt
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Red Pepper (optional)
- 3 Cups Hot Water
- 1 Cup Ice
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Favorite BBQ Sauce
1. Mix in a large bowl or tupperware mix together the salt, sugar, garlic, bay leaf, black peppercorns, red pepper and hot water. Dissolve all of the salt and sugar and then add the ice to cool it down.
2. Once the brine is cooled to at least room temp, add the chicken legs, submerging them all the way in the brine (add cold water until the chicken is completely submerged.
TIP: if the chicken keeps floating to the top , place a small plate on top to help keep them submerged under the water.)
3. Cover the brining chicken with a lid and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
4. Once you are ready to cook, remove the chicken from the brine onto a pan lined with paper towels and pat the chicken legs dry.
5.Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper on both sides.
6. Cook the chicken legs over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until the chicken starts to show grill marks. Flip the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Pile all of the chicken on one side of the grill and pour half of the bbq sauce on them. Use a brush to coat all of the chicken legs with bbq. Spread them back out and cook for 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining bbq sauce.
After about 20 minutes of cooking, the chicken legs should be fully cooked and sticky with bbq. Enjoy!
Recipe by POWDERHOOK