This particular version is using ground elk meat. But it could be prepared with almost any type of ground meat or wild game like: venison, turkey, pheasant or whatever you would like. Not only is it delicious but it's very easy to prepare and doesn’t require a lot of attention while cooking.
Elk Hunting Tip: Elk Calling What You Need to Know Infographic -LINK
The elk meat version of macaroni and cheese cooks the majority of the time in a slow cooker. You can put this comfort food in the crock pot during your lunch break or before you leave for work in the morning and know you'll be coming home to a scrumptious meal. Serves roughly 8 people or 2-4 with yummy left overs.
1½ lbs lean ground wild game (we’re using elk meat)
1 small white onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
6 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of grated carrots
1 tsp basil
1½ cups of whole milk
16 ounces of cubed Velveeta processed Cheese
1½ to 2 cups of macaroni noodles
|Elite Stainless Steel Slow Cooker|
1. In a large skillet cook the ground wild game until it is mostly browned but still leaving some pink.
2. Add in the chopped onion and continue to cook until the onion is translucent and soft.
3. Add the garlic and continue to simmer for another minute or two. By this time the ground beef will be fully browned.
4. Place meat, onion & garlic mixture in the bottom of a large crockpot.
5. Pour 6 cups of chicken stock over the beef mixture and add the carrots and basil.
6. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
7. Half and hour before serving, add in 2 cups of macaroni. Cook until soft.
8. Finally, Whisk in the milk and Velveeta. Stir until the cheese is melted throughout the soup completely.
9. Salt & pepper to your taste.
10. Serve and enjoy!
To see more detail in how I prepare it you can watch my special YouTube video dedicated to just this recipe. Watch my step by step video below cooking Elk Cheeseburger Mac'n'Cheese.